I love the sun. However the older I get, the more concerned I am with skin damage. A couple of years ago our family went to Hawaii for Christmas. Since there was no opportunity to get a tan before we hit the beach, I visited the tanning salon before our trip for an airbrush tan. It was a great solution for a short term need.
Before I went to my appointment the salon attendant shared a few tips to help me achieve the best possible results:
- Proper skin preparation is essential to success. Waxing, shaving and exfoliating should take place 24 hours before the appointment. Exfoliating dead skin will insure an even tan. Applying a spray on tan to newly exfoliated skin will also help the tan last longer.
- Pedicures, manicures and facials should occur at least 24 hours before the tanning appointment. Ridding feet of dry skin will also prevent an orange tint to the tan.
- Abstain from wearing lotions, make up or perfume to the tanning appoint as the chemicals can react with the DHA in the tanning solution and cause streaking.
- Do not wear deodorant to the appointment as it can cause a green tinge under the arms which is difficult to correct.
- Dress in dark loose clothing as tight fitting clothing can rub the tan off before it is completely dry. Plan for at least 5 hours before changing clothes. Wear flip flops to prevent rubbing the tan off the tops of your feet.
- Do not work out after a tanning session as perspiration can cause the tan to streak.
- Do now shower for 8-12 hours. Use a body wash or shower gel that is low in alkaline. Some of the cosmetic bronzer will wash off, this is completely normal.
- Moisturize twice a day with an alcohol free lotion or cream.
- Avoid exfoliating or using a washcloth on the skin as it will remove the tanner from the skin.
- When swimming or hot tubing use a waterproof sunscreen to seal in the tan.
In most cases the tanning appointment lasts less than 30 minutes. It is not advisable to tan over a lunch hour as loose fitting clothing should be worn afterwards to prevent rubbing off the tan.
Following the before and after tips for airbrush tanning will produce beautifully tanned skin. Most airbrush tans will last 7-10 days between applications. Airbrush tanning can the perfect solution for a special occasion or summer tan year round.
Summer is a great time to be tan, but sometimes you may not want to expose yourself directly to the sun because direct ...
Sunblock is important and picking the right sunblock is also important. Follow these simply guidelines of choosing ...
You may wonder if sunscreen has an expiration date, and if it does, why? Sunscreen doesn't last forever and here's why.