Simple Home Remedies for Dry Skin
As our bodies age, our sebaceous glands naturally produce less oil. The result is dry itchy skin. If we live in arid climates there are several natural remedies that can be used to combat the irritation and discomfort of dry skin.
- Increase humidity. Keep a pot of water simmering on the stove. The water will add moisture to the air and make skin feel less tight.
- Diet. Increase fatty fish like salmon, tuna or sardines to your diet. The omega-3 oils will add luster to skin. Fresh fruit and green leafy vegetables will also have a positive affect on the health of skin. Reduce the intake of sugars, carbs, and soda. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day. Limit alcohol consumption as it has a natural dehydrating affect on skin.
- Gloves. Use gloves when doing housework or gardening. Protecting hands from the elements can help retain moisture in the skin.
- Petroleum jelly. For rough, dry or cracked feet, use petroleum jelly at night. Slather on an ample amount of petroleum jelly, place feet in baggies and put on socks. Although it will feel slimy, the product will absorb into the skin over night producing softer feet.
- Table Salt. Salt is a natural exfoliant. While skin is still wet, rub salt into the skin in circular motions to remove dry flakey skin. Salt can also replace harsh abrasives for cleaning in the kitchen.
- Vegetable or olive oil. Perfumed skin care products often have drying agents in them. Vegetable or canola oil can be used as a natural skin softener. A couple of tablespoons can be added to a warm bath or it can be applied to skin following a warm shower.
- Baking soda. Baking soda can be used for dry itchy skin. Add ½ cup to a warm bath and soak. It can also be used as a paste to bring relief to severely dry patches.
- Cucumbers. Cucumbers can be used to help restore the natural ph balance to skin. They can be a revitalizing part of a facial and reduce swelling around the eyes.
- Oatmeal. Add oatmeal to warm bath water. It acts as an anti-itch remedy for dry chapped skin.
- Mayonnaise and vinegar. Dry scalps can produce dandruff, sloughing off of dry skin. Use ¼ cup of regular mayonnaise massage it into the scalp, put on a cap, rinse after 30 minutes. Vinegar can also be used in the shower as a rinse to combat a dry scalp.
- Over ripe bananas and avocado. Smash an over ripe banana and avocado, rub into the scalp, cover head and leave for one hour. The oils from the avocado will moisturize the scalp and add sheen and luster to hair.
Sometimes the best remedy for treating dry skin is from the inside out. Eating a healthy diet, drinking lots of water and staying out of the sun can reverse the signs of dry skin. When additional help is needed, it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to treat dry skin symptoms.
Skin care is something that should be approached with a degree of care and gentleness. Some like to approach this with ...
Glycerin is a common component in basic beauty products like soap, lotion, toothpaste and deodorant. Glycerine's natural ...
Acne, zits, pimples...whatever you decide to call them, you don't want them on your face. Read here for information about ...