Choosing a Plastic Surgery Clinic
Selecting a plastic surgery clinic is an important decision when seeking a plastic surgery procedure. Currently there are no regulations governing what type of medical professional can perform plastic surgery procedures. There are several questions that are worth asking when seeking a reputable facility:
- It is important to find a doctor that has ample surgical experience with an accredited facility. It is also beneficial to seek a doctor associated with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), ASPS doctors are also certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. This group of physicians specializes in practice of plastic surgery procedures. ASPS member surgeons have a minimum of six years of surgical and three years of plastic surgery training and experience in an accredited facility. This group of doctors is also committed to continuing education.
- Cost can vary from state to state and facility to facility. Seeking the lowest price isn't necessarily the route to take when choosing a plastic surgeon. Average costs for plastic surgery procedures are available on most plastic surgeons websites. Most costs are inclusive of anesthesia, facility fees, labs and the surgeon's fees. Be clear in what the estimates include so there are no post surgical surprises.
- Ask tough questions in the consultation. Inquire about criteria that make a good candidate for the procedure you are seeking. Is there an alternative procedure that would give a better result? Discuss post-op care; will assistance be required when you go home? Go over risks of the procedure in detail. Verify that the facility the surgical procedure will take place is an accredited facility. The surgeon's reaction to your questions will give a comfort level on whether or not to proceed. Speak with at least two different surgeons.
- Ask to speak with previous clients. Speaking with an actual patient will provide the opportunity to compare the physician's responses to real-life experiences. Cover some of the same material. Find out if they got the desired response from the procedure. Ask if they'd do it again. Discover if there were any complications and how they were handled.
- Ask about financing options and cash discounts. Most plastic surgical procedures are affordable and some procedures may be covered all or in part by insurance.
Plastic surgery can be one of the most important decisions you will ever make. Finding a facility that is accredited with a doctor who holds the proper certifications will play a vital role in the outcome of the surgery.
Want a new look without too much cost? Read on for tips on how to save money on plastic surgery.
For some, certain facial features seem unsightly and distracting. If an area of your face is unsatisfactory to you, you ...
You may have wondered if it is time for you to receive plastic surgery. It's a big decision, but here are a few things ...